Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Unexpected

On a flight to Minneapolis this morning I passed the time reading Seneca, including this observation:

"Every day, therefore, should be regulated as if it were the one that brings up the rear, the one that rounds out and completes our lives.....If God adds the morrow we should accept it joyfully. The man who looks for the morrow without worrying over it knows a peaceful independence and a happiness beyond all others."

That nicely summarizes a principle of Present Tense Living: enjoy today, for today is all you have. We sometimes worry so much about tomorrow and the next day and the next that we fail to appreciate what is good about today: the bright sunshine, the joy of our family, the fun of our friends. Learn to appreciate what is good about today and you will go a long way toward conquering the power of worry over your life, which will lead to contentment.

Elsewhere Seneca writes to "practice" your death--in other words, to finish every day saying "I have lived" (quoting Virgil) and being satisfied with your life, as if when you fall asleep you will never wake up. It sounds morbid at first, but with such practice you truly will learn to view each day as a gift. You don't have to think you are going to die every night; but as your head hits the pillow, why not utter the simple prayer: "Dear Lord, thank you for the gift of today."

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!" Practice "dying" and you will live more abundantly each day.

With those thoughts in mind this morning, I deplaned in Minneapolis to find an urgent message waiting for me from my dad with unexpectedly stunning news: my uncle, Thomas Edward Corts, aged 67, a mentor to me during my years at Samford and one of the most generous people I have ever known, died suddenly of a heart attack this morning. And so it hit me: you can "prepare" for your own death, but there is almost no preparation you can do for the sudden loss of a loved one. It is going to hurt, and your reactions are unpredictable until it happens.

Tom and Marla were surrogate parents to me during my college years, formative years during which their strong presence was an unqualified blessing. During my years as a young banker in Birmingham, making only $22,000 a year, Tom paid for countless dinners out for me, and even more valuable were the hours of conversation that I enjoyed with him and Marla, discussing Samford, family, Birmingham life, and the people in our lives. I was inspired by his work ethic, high personal standards, integrity, and eloquence in written and spoken word. I have especially thought often of his generosity to me, and have looked for opportunities to pay it back by passing it on to others in need. I will miss his wise counsel and good example.

So enjoy your own today, but be sure to enjoy the days you have with your friends and loved ones too. Every day is precious for every person; resolve today to reach out to a friend you haven't spoken to in a while; a family member you've not seen; an acquaintence you need to know better. Each day is a gift for you, and an opportunity for you to give of yourself to someone else. Seize that opportunity!

No comments: