Monday, January 26, 2009

Theory vs. Practice

I realized while leading a discussion about the Theology of Enough on Sunday that at some point, one must move on from merely thinking about priorities and the concepts of living in the present tense, and start actually taking concrete steps toward doing something about it. As fun as it is to sit and think about simplifying life, and reducing commitments, and rearranging priorities, and all the other indicators of present tense thinking, eventually something must actually be done about it. And that is when I realized I need to do more thinking about practical application.

What does Present Tense Living actually mean? How will you know you are actually doing it, or moving toward it? How do you overcome hurdles that get in your way of executing it? This will be my focus over the coming weeks, trying to develop a framework for living. I think it will be less than a 12-step method, but more than just "think about it."

No comments: