Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Out of illness, a lesson

Nothing like a good bout with bronchitis to force me to slow down, and to throw into sharp relief what in my life really is a priority. It's amazing how many work projects and meetings turned out to be "optional" after all--no one wanted a coughing sicko there, and now I find I'm not out of the loop at all upon my return--and so it make me wonder how much of my usual workday is just busywork and unnecessary. There were a couple of important deadlines that did need to be kept, and I submitted my work from my quarantined office at home, and the world moved on. The true priorities rise to the top when you have limited time to work.

I listened to Leo Babauta's interview with Merlin Mann last week, and Merlin makes the point that if you have to ask yourself if something is a priority, then it is not. Priorities are obvious and clear. A good point to remember the next time you sit down to devote 30 minutes to re-prioritizing your to-do list instead of actually doing work.

No comments: