Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Return of the Sun

After seemingly weeks of interminable rain in the Atlanta area, we were blessed with a sunny day yesterday. The sight of the sun after so long brought out the poet in me, so with apologies to all serious poets, I share with you:


The Return of the Sun

It was just when I knew
the heavens would never appear blue
during the day again,
my life to be spent in the rain
getting wet, drying off, getting wet.
I was resolved to my fate
when on a cold October morn
a bright yellow orb appeared, shorn of
the cloudy halo of many days passed.
At first thinking I was deceived
by a light in the trees, I walked out
under the green canopy and found,
in the gaps between the fading leaves
and the sturdy branches, that
there was not just sight-giving light
but life-giving warmth!

As small voices squealed under the canopy
I came to know something renewed:
The heavens are blue today, and with
my smile shining and my touch warming,
I will be like the sun.

No comments: