Thursday, February 14, 2008

There Is No Time

Most people I know complain at least occasionally about how busy they are. Polls show that Americans feel more time stress than ever, despite academic studies that show that leisure time has grown significantly in the past 50 years. The computer revolution has introduced supposed time-saving devices into our lives that should yield more leisure time--but instead seem to create more work. How have we become so busy?

One of the best depictions of this paradox of time was written by Peggy Noonan almost 10 years ago. Click here to read it, and marvel at two things: first, I think she succinctly captures the feeling of rush and stress that both blesses and plagues contemporary life. Secondly, she was eerily prescient in the prophecy she lays out in section III of the article; it came spectacularly true less than three years after this article was published. I recall being sent home from my office on the morning of 9/11; that day, as Peggy predicted, I had time.

I find this article a good reminder to appreciate what I do have, and an inspiration to be more deliberate in how to spend my time. I hope you do, too.

No comments: